In pursuance of its vision and goals, the Shri Luxmi Narayan Temple will engage in research, learning, teaching and service, in a context of Social Responsibility, Religious and Spiritual Excellence for the promotion of access to the teachings of Sanathan Dharma.
An organisation dedicated to the dissemination of the teachings and practices of Sanathan Dharma
* To promote and propagate the study of Hindi, Sanskrit and Sanathan Culture.
* To hold and conduct Religious services, discourses, lectures and symposiums, calculated to promote Sanathan Dharma.
* To help the aged and needy of any race, color or creed and to make donations to deserving causes whether relating to religions, education, charity or philanthropy.
History of the temple
In 1916, a group of stalwarts formed the Clairwood Hindu Young Mens’ Association and established a Community Centre for Hindus in Clairwood. After some land was sourced in 24 Sirdar Road (Clairwood), the members rallied together and built a wood and iron building to serve as a venue for religious services and propagation of Hindu Culture. This Association launched a fund raising campaign in order to improve the facilities of this Temple. Some of the early pioneers who played a very prominent role in the drive to raise funds were Pundit Ramlakan Tewary, Mr S Dayaram, Mr Surmoo, Pundit Ramsoomer Maharaj, Mr Baboo Keshav Singh, and Mr Baboo Kaloo Singh. On 7 June 1928, Mr Thanoo Rai officially laid the foundation stone for the proposed Shri Luxmi Narayan Temple, and Pundit Sankata Maharaj officially opened this Temple on 1 March 1931. The activities at the temple were not confined to religious aspects only; the hall was used for education purposes. Due to the dire lack of educational facilities for the Indian community, in 1945 the Shri Luxmi Narayan Government-Aided Indian School was officially opened, with Mr R D Pillay as its Acting Principal. During the early 1970’s the hearts of every Hindu bled (after all the sweat, toil, and sacrifices, to establish all the facilities and a Temple) at the news that the entire Temple land was going to be to be expropriated the Durban City Council to make way for the construction of the Southern Freeway.
The city council offered meagre compensation and a choice of three possible relocation sites. The site at 49 Greenfern Road, Mobeni Heights was accepted and the relocation process from Clairwood started. The foundation stone for the present hall was laid on 30 July 1971 with the hall being ready for occupation on 1 July 1973. By hiring out the hall and by donations from the public and well-wishers, the committee managed to accumulate sufficient funds to the erection of the Temple Shrine. The temple consecration and opening ceremony was held from the 4 June 1979 to 7 June 1979. In recent years, there have been major improvements and upgrades, such as a new dining-hall and cooking area, a new wash area, a new access to dining hall and a new Jhunda Area. The existing floor slab has degraded badly and has developed leaks, which is causing degradation to the boardroom below. The Temple is embarking on a new project to renovate and upgrade the front façade of the temple. The new design will offer more space for devotees, since the current shrine has limited space.
Murthis (Deities) Worshipped at the Shri Luxmi Narayan Temple
There are three separate sanctum sanctorum within the shrine in which the following Murthis are worshipped: Shri Luxmi Narayan and Radha-Krishna; Ganesh, ShivaParvathi and Durga; Sita-Ram-Lakshmana & Hanuman.
- Board of Trustees
- 5 Other Members
- Board of Management
- Deputy President
- Joint Honorary Secretaries
- Honorary Treasurer
- Hall Booking Officer
- Vice Presidents - Editorial
- Language Education
- Social Projects
- 3 Trustees
- 5 Honorary Members
- Standing Committees